Friday, March 14, 2014

Hop to it!

I've been feeling very springy this week. It all started the other day when I was at Walmart and saw all the Easter decorations/baskets out. I grabbed a few things for Ethan's basket and then some little window decals to decorate the kitchen window.  From there I had to run to the thrift store and ended up randomly finding two little adorable ceramic Easter bunnies. After that I was pretty much hooked. That night at home I went on Pinterest to research all things Easter and spring related (crafts, decorations, foods, etc.). I'm usually not a crafty person (at least, not a talented one), but this week I've been to Joann's twice. Twice. I think that's more trips than I made to Joann's all of last year. I even bought a glue gun. My own real glue gun. It was empowering. Haha. :)

So I made two things this week and am really looking forward to making something this weekend with Ethan (which, if successful, I'll blog about later).  The first thing I made was based off of this post on Pinterest:


I really liked the idea of making yarn eggs, but was less interested in the "treat" part.  So I went to Joann's and bought some really pretty multi-color yarn and a bottle of Tacky glue; then a quick trip to the Dollar Store for water balloons and I was off!  The glue/water mixture was a little messy to work with, but other than that these were suuuper easy to make.  I will say (in hindsight), I wish I had made them a little smaller for decorating purposes, but I really don't think that affected the end result too much.


Wrapped and hanging to dry

All my yarn eggs hanging in the window after drying all night

The end result after pulling the balloon out

A few hurricanes, some green grass and I now have a new Easter centerpiece for our dining table!

For my other craft I was inspired by this post on Pinterest:


I actually even stayed up until 130am last night just to finish because I was so excited about this wreath, lol. So I didn't make a Valentine's Day version of this, but I used her same design (minus the bunting) to make a more springy wreath.  Wrapping the wreath was by far the hardest part, especially considering I made a HUGE knot in my yarn (like I said, I'm not the most talented crafty person).  But I didn't let that stop me, I figured out a way around my dilemma and moved forward.

Here I am at 1130pm, spread out on the coffee table, elbow deep in rose-making (with my new glue gun!)

Felt roses

My finished wreath!  Yay! :)

I really enjoyed both crafts and am looking forward to what I have planned with Ethan this weekend.  And I also have another craft that I'm already brainstorming, but that will take a little more time and probably the purchase of a staple gun.  Big doings. ;)

Here's some pictures of my other little decorations:

My thrift store bunnies sitting on my kitchen window sill (I LOVE having a kitchen window sill!)

We got this crystal bowl as a wedding gift, but sadly it had been packed away since our wedding because we had no where to put it in DC.  Now I have it sitting on our window sill (yep, I love that thing) and put some speckled eggs in it for the season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment