Friday, January 8, 2016

A new year, time to blog again!

Ya know, some things in life just aren't meant to be blogged about.  And that's all I'm gonna say about the last few months of 2015.


So 2016!  Here we are!  So far, so good.  The boys and I, along with one of my best friends, Alexa, traveled home from Maryland on New Years Eve.  It was a long and grueling day.  We woke up at 5am, drove to the airport, checked in, went through security, waited for our flight, sat on the runway for an extra 45 minutes, took off, flew for 4 hours (a loooong 4 hours, mind you), landed in Albuquerque, loaded up the car with 6 huge pieces of luggage, grabbed a quick lunch in Albuquerque, drove 3.5 hours to Clovis, stopped at the grocery store (because the house was absolutely empty and the next day was a holiday) and finally, at 6pm (which felt like 8pm in our East Coast bodies), we made it home.  Whew!  What a day.  Then we got home, let the kids stretch and just play with their toys, which they loved since they weren't stuck on our laps or strapped in a carseat, and we did a thorough house scrub down.  See, while we were gone, there was a huge blizzard in Clovis (you might have heard of Blizzard Goliath?) and poor Beaker and Natty went 4 days without any food or water and they therefore ransacked our house.  To say there was cat fur everywhere would be a huge huge understatement.  So about 3-4 hours later we had cleaned the house, bathed the babies, put the babies to bed and finally sat down for the first time to eat and relax.  Then, of course, we had to wrap about a dozen presents because I hadn't wrapped a single thing for the boys, but had told them Santa would come the first night they were back in Clovis.  Silly me, I should have known better and given Santa at least an extra day to settle.  Lol.  Oh well!  Needless to say, by midnight we actually forgot it was even New Years Eve, ha.




Me and B paaaassed out on the plane

Thank goodness for stickers...


Fishy lips!


My two sweet boys passed out in the car after our long flight to Albuquerque
 
After Santa came on New Years Eve
Other than that, the first week of 2016 has felt like a bit of a blur.  I went back to work on January 4th, after taking 3 weeks off.  Oh, yeah, that's a fun side story!  I started a new job on November 16th.  I worked a full week, then worked one day of the next week (thanks to Bradley coming down with Croupe, Thanksgiving and daycare being closed the day after Thanksgiving), then I worked 2 full weeks, followed by 3 weeks off (due to my trip back East that I scheduled prior to being hired).  So for my first 7 weeks of work, I only actually worked 3 of them.  Not my intention, but everyone has been very understanding so far.  And I am loving my new job!  It was absolutely the right decision for me to start working again.  Some people are meant to be stay at home moms (or dads!), some people enjoy working from home, unfortunately, neither of those are good fits for me and that's just something I've learned over the last year.  But, you don't know until you try.  So fulltime work it is!  And I am happy to do the work.


So what is my new job?  I am the secretary for a Colonel on base.  It is an awesome fit for so many reasons which include, in no particular order: 1) I love the kind of work I'm doing.  2) I am on base with the boys who are also on base at daycare (along with their pediatrician and my doctor, which makes any doctor's appointments super easy).  3) I am a GS employee now, which has great benefits (such as once you are in the GS employee system they favor you for other GS positions [i.e., when we move again, it will be easier for me to get another GS position on base]).  4) I am fulltime (as opposed to a lot of the hourly jobs I was considering out of desperation).  5) My boss is military and gets my life right now; he understands the constraints I am under and is sympathetic to them.


So that's 2016 for us so far.  And I don't know why, but I have a feeling this year is going to be so much better than last year, because except for bringing my Bradley into the world, last year was rough.  But I will say this, last year made me stronger and last year taught me life lessons that I will take with me (especially about being a military spouse).  So bring it on, 2016, I am so ready for whatever you have to throw my way. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment