Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My boys

The morning of Monday, February 23rd, we brought Ethan to the hospital to meet his new baby brother. Ethan had gotten very used to the idea of a baby in my belly, but we weren't really sure how he would handle everything once the baby came out of my belly.

Then the moment came, Ethan walked into the hospital room. He looked at Bradley and said, "That's my baby brother? That's my Bradley?" And so a nickname was coined, one that I treasure and continue to use when referring to my second son, "my Bradley."


Ethan's next reaction was one I wouldn't have expected. He looked at Matt and me and said, "He's not talking?" I think maybe Ethan was expecting another toddler-sized walking/talking kid to come strolling out of my belly, and when he was presented with tiny little Bradley who couldn't walk, talk or play he was a bit confused. But once we assured him it was okay that Bradley couldn't talk now, and eventually he would talk, Ethan seemed very accepting. And while he didn't want to hold him at first, he instantly wanted to help take care of him.

Once home from the hospital Ethan was excited to share all his toys with his new brother and even helped feed him one of his first bottles. The love and excitement Ethan showed, and continues to show, for Bradley truly fills my heart with joy.



Now, weeks later, Ethan continues to be an amazing big brother. He is so gentle and kind with Bradley. He continues to share his toys, he loves taking baths together, he tries to comfort Bradley when he is crying and he gives him kisses every night before he goes to bed.

And while I know it's impossible to tell the future, I have a feeling this is all just the beginning of one amazing, lifelong friendship for my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment