Sunday, May 25, 2014

Homemade Chicken Gyros

One of my favorite restaurants in DC is Cava, which serves amazingly delicious Greek food. It was near where I worked and walking distance from our condo, so not only was it a favorite for my coworkers and me to get lunch, it was also a favorite for Matt and me to grab dinner. I pretty much got the same thing every time I went, too, which was their gyro sandwich. Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water. Mmmm...

Being that it's now been almost 5 months since I left DC, I have really been hankering for a gyro. So since Ethan and I are on our own this weekend, I thought I'd go a little crazy and try to make chicken gyros from scratch. Chicken gyros are definitely not the same as gyro meat gyros, but there's no way I was going to attempt to make gyro meat on my own, lol.

So I followed this recipe (which I found on Pinterest, of course) and was pretty impressed with how it turned out. The Tzatziki sauce was way easier to make than I expected, which was a nice surprise. I also decided to add black olives and feta cheese to my gyro, which just made it that much more delicious. I can't say it was as good as Cava, but it did help with my craving, so all-in-all I'd say it was a success!


1 comment: