Saturday, March 9, 2013

She's All In

"It's such a compelling trait for a woman to find in a man, that cavalier manner; that passion to leave his mark; that battle against being ordinary. When I look at Grandma, I get a sense she couldn't quite feel Grandpa's drive or relate to it, but she loved it. She was all in. I don't even know whether she actually understood the things my grandpa cared about - the mechanism of the key, for heaven's sake, the physics behind a pulley, the economic role of the corncob pipe in twentieth-century America - but she found the man endlessly interesting. She was sort of like Dorothy in Jerry Maguire: I'll stand back and support you, even when I can't read your heart. And when you come home at the end of the day, I'll happily be your soft place to fall."

How to Love an American Man, Kristine Gasbarre

No comments:

Post a Comment